This book is the businessperson's guide to influencing government decisions without incurring the cost of a professional lobbyist, at a time when those decisions are, increasingly, a key to survival.
When big corporations want to influence the government, they hire pricey lobbyists. But little guys have been on their own―until now. Equally useful to entrepreneurs and established owner/managers, Be Your Own Lobbyist: How to Give Your Small Business Big Clout with State and Local Government is a businessperson's guide to getting heard by government decision-makers by using the same tactics professionals employ.
Readers will learn how to lobby in a compelling, sophisticated way through a comprehensive approach that will work at any level, but the book is especially suited to state and local government where routine decisions can mean life or death for small- and medium-sized businesses. The book not only explains the building blocks of advocacy―targeting, tools, and tactics―but also applies them to specific, common challenges like seeking a variance or fighting an ordinance. Packed with examples and easily adaptable models, Be Your Own Lobbyist shows how even a small business can get a fair shake in the halls of government.
• Real-world advocacy examples
• Tip sheets, including "How to Work a Public Meeting," "Setting Expectations for Your Lobbying Effort," and "Don't Waste Your Money"
• "For Example" sidebars, such as "Time-Wasters and Turnoffs" and "The 5 Biggest Mistakes"
• "You Try It" exercises
• Model advocacy materials, including letters, emails, scripts, testimony, press releases, and more
• Sample laws, policies, and forms
• A "Learn the Language" glossary decoding some of the key jargon used in local and state government
• Resource guides for small businesses seeking government contracts